Guava Leaves....I love eating and using leaves that others do not know you can! Love it!!!
Eating leaves of plants that you’re already growing for some other crop is so Permaculture. Truth is the other parts of plants often have more value. They have more food value, nutritional value, and medicinal value.
At Finca Quijote we are abundant with guava leaves from our guava trees. Although I have never counted them, from time to time we must have hundreds of these fast growing trees. Located in our pastures, the horses, cows, squirrels, birds, monkeys and other wild animals eat the dropped fruit and distribute the seeds which grow into more trees. Too many trees in the pasture and you have all shade and no grass. We just thinned a guava grove in a pasture and sold the wood, 3 tractor trailer loads.
The leaves may be far more valuable than the fruit, it is a natural medicine times 10. Packed with antioxidants, anti-bacterial and beneficial tannins, it makes a medicinal tea that is a treatment for Diarrhea, High Cholesterol, Diabetes and is a natural pain reliever.
- Guava leaf tea can help with weight loss by preventing complex starches from being converted into sugars. The leaves prevent the transition of carbohydrates to usable compounds.
- For diabetics ...the leaves lower bloat glucose and prevents the absorption of sucrose and maltose which lowers blood sugar levels without increasing insulin production.
- The leaf tea will lower cholesterol while being a liver tonic.
- Will sooth coughs and open up the lungs.
- Relieve toothache and mouth sores.
- For Dengue Fever the tea can increase platelets in the blood.
- A mature guava leaf concoction applied to your skin can tighten it.
- Can increase sperm production and help the Prostate.
- The bark made into a tea is used as an astringent.
- The fruit itself is a tonic, a laxative, and is used to treat bleeding gums, scurvy, malaria, and cures headaches.
- The leaves have 5 times more vitamin C in them than an orange.
- It can block most any allergic reaction because of its histamine blocking properties. Just 2 or 3 leaves in a cup with boiling water.
- More leaves and sometimes the roots are used for the various treatments mentioned above.